Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Amends

My uncle popped by, family of four, to see mama two days ago. I heard some people-sounds at the door and as I squinted to focus on their silhouettes my eyes widened with delighted surprise. I recognized their faces in spite of the blinding afternoon sunshine coming in from behind them.

They'd never been here before. I had hardly seen them throughout my life thus far. Maybe only at hospital, when we bump into each other. Or when I was a tiny thing and family ties were not knotted up yet.

It was then that I saw something happen. It blessed my heart. It happened in a jiffy, seemingly insignificant. A small gesture, so common, not summoning second thought from the casual observer.

My uncle waltzed forward and shook my father's hand. Completely on his own accord. So naturally, as if he had been doing so all along. More than that, he looked into my father's eyes as he did so. He shook with hearty gusto and said, "Happy new year!" throwing in a nod and a hint of a grin.

Oh my, I thought. This is a phenomenon.

In the short time span it takes us to think these things, I pondered within myself on the spot about all the symbolism their handshake held. I imagined each of them tearing down their electric fences and looking at each other from across the border.

"Enough with all that," they seemed to say through their eyes. "Let's make amends."

Thank the Lord that things like these are happening. My gran would be so very pleased.
BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments: